A great form of exercise and a mind-body practice, Yoga can have tremendous physical, mental and emotional benefits. It is also an effective way to develop greater self-awareness, acceptance, and the ability to be present in the moment. Yoga often plays a key role in stress reduction and helping to minimize psychiatric symptoms.
At Helix Healing & Recovery we believe in the benefits of regular yoga therapy and encourage our residents to participate in our two weekly yoga classes. These classes are held at our beautiful, outside yoga therapy deck. The classes are taught by a local fitness professional, Linda Collins, who also conducts regular personal yoga training sessions at the request of our residents. As part of each resident's Helix admission, they will be provided one initial personal training session as a way to introduce our yoga therapy program then let the resident decide about continuing personal sessions thereafter.
As a mind-body type of complementary and alternative medicine practice, Yoga brings together physical and mental disciplines to achieve peacefulness of body and mind, helping you relax and better manage your stress and anxiety. Yoga has many styles, forms and intensities and clearly acts as a good choice for stress management. Hatha is one of the most common styles of yoga, and beginners may like its slower pace and easier movements. But most people can benefit from any style of yoga - it's all about your personal preferences - and at Helix Healing & Recovery we support all levels of expertise.
The core components of our yoga classes are:
- Poses - Yoga poses, also called postures, are a series of movements designed to increase strength and flexibility. Poses range from lying on the floor while completely relaxed to difficult postures that may have you stretching your physical limits.
- Breathing - Controlling your breathing is an important part of yoga. In yoga, breath signifies your vital energy. Yoga teaches that controlling your breathing can help you control your body and quiet your mind.
The health benefits of yoga include:
- Stress reduction - A number of studies have shown that yoga can help reduce stress and anxiety. It can also enhance your mood and overall sense of well-being.
- Better Sleep - Yoga helps relax your nervous system, which is the part of your body responsible for restful sleep or a night of tossing and turning.
- More Energy - When first starting out, yoga may seem like a challenge, and you may exert a lot of effort just to hold basic poses. But as you continue, the poses get easier, and you’ll actually feel more refreshed and exhilarated than when you started. There are certain poses meant to help boost your good energy, and help you shrug off negative energy that is trapped in the body.
- Improved fitness - Practicing yoga can lead to improved balance, flexibility, range of motion and strength. And this means you're less likely to injure yourself in other physical endeavors or in your daily activities.
- Management of chronic conditions - Yoga can help reduce risk factors for chronic diseases, such as heart disease and high blood pressure. It also helps to alleviate chronic conditions, such as depression, pain, anxiety and insomnia.
Click below to learn more...
©2016 Hanbleceya Recovery Network • Employment Opportunities